Not including %org-name%

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 9 06:39:04 UTC 2021

On 12/8/21 10:05 PM, Peter wrote:
> Thanks for investigating.
>
>> # However, if you are changing some variable definition which is used
>
> I take this to mean if you redefine the defnition, not the actual variable.
>   Example you might define it to be a file possibly.

It's a string. You could define it to be the name of a file but it would
be literally that name, not the contents of the file.

> There is no point in having a variable if it doesn't do anything.  When I
> edited it in the original conf file, that change was reflected in all items
> in the header that I would expect to change.

Yes, it's a variable, but it is defined in MailScanner.conf by

%org-name% = yoursite

Later definitions such as

Spam-Virus Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-SpamVirus-Report:

get expanded into

Spam-Virus Header = X-yoursite-MailScanner-SpamVirus-Report:

at the point of definition, not at the point of use. I understand you
want the expansion to be deferred until all the conf.d files have been
processed, but that's not the way it works. It works as documented.
Arguably what you would want is better, but I don't think it's worth any
significant effort to implement it at this point.