Anti-phishing using FROM text field information?

Peter H. Lemieux mailscanner at replies.cyways.com
Thu Aug 20 18:03:45 UTC 2020

I generally handle situations like this with SpamAssassin rules.  I'd
give a negative score to messages with realname at realdomain and a larger
positive score to messages with "CEO Smith" in the From line.

header REAL_PEOPLE         From =~ /mydomain\.com/i
score REAL_PEOPLE          -5

header PHONY_CEO           From =~ /CEO Smith/
score PHONY_CEO            15

Don't know if this would help with your problem.

To avoid spoofing I also have a rule on my inbound server that blocks
messages arriving from outside allegedly from mydomain.com.  That may
not work for you if your users can send mail from outside the network
with their actual addresses.

Peter