MailScanner Lint Error

Paul Scott sales at edenusa.com
Mon Aug 10 19:07:56 UTC 2020

Hello MailScanner folks and friends:

I continue to hammer away at trying to get MailScanner working again.  I managed to get the install to run without error, but I still do not see MailScanner actively processing any SPAM at all in the "maillog" log file.  It only shows its startup messages, and that's it.  The process ID remains running, but MailScanner is effectively dead (doesn't do any work).  I also did successfully use CPAN to upgrade Spam Assassin to the very latest version, just now.

[root at fs9 log]# spamassassin -V
SpamAssassin version 3.4.4
  running on Perl version 5.10.1
[root at fs9 log]#

After that, I tried MailScanner -lint, and had some issues, which I fixed, until I now have this result:

[root at fs9 ~]# MailScanner --lint
Trying to setlogsock(unix)

Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/README
Read 1500 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Read 7949 hostnames from the phishing blacklists

Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (5.3.3) is correct.

Your envelope_sender_header in spamassassin.conf is correct.

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
config: registryboundaries: no tlds defined, need to run sa-update
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
Auto: Found virus scanners: clamd
Using locktype = flock
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = auto"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
Filename Checks: Windows/DOS Executable (1 eicar.com)
Other Checks: Found 1 problems
Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
Clamd::INFECTED:: Win.Test.EICAR_HDB-1 :: ./1/eicar.com
Virus Scanning: Clamd found 2 infections
Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
Virus Scanning: Found 2 viruses
Virus Scanner test reports:
Clamd said "eicar.com was infected: Win.Test.EICAR_HDB-1"

If any of your virus scanners (clamd)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.

I don't know what this error means, or how to fix it-I did run "sa-update", and it did not fix it:
config: registryboundaries: no tlds defined, need to run sa-update

Can you please let me know how to fix this?

Also, of interest, I read in the spamassassin.conf that there is a Processing.db, that is in the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming folder, and to clear it, you delete it, and it should be recreated when MailScanner is restarted, it will be recreated.  I tried that, but it did NOT get recreated, not sure why.  Any ideas?

The bottom line here is that MailScanner is not doing what it should be doing, and that is scanning incoming mail.  I am having a great deal of trouble figure this out.  Please help.  Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

[photo]
Paul Scott
Engineer, Eden USA, Incorporated