Alert "Problem Messages" is spamming me every hour, delete Processing.db did not help

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed May 15 18:27:37 UTC 2019

On 5/15/19 2:32 AM, info at schroeffu.ch wrote:

> Now I deleted already this (definitively spam) Mail 11A003C0065.AC53F
> from /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/* where I found it stored, and made:
>
> - stop mailscanner
> - delete /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Processing.db
> - start mailscanner
>
> but it does not help. Watching inside of this file "Processing.db" with
> "strings Processing.db" after delete & restart shows me still this
> Message ID.

You don't need 'strings'. 'MailScanner --processing' will show it to you
too.

Did the message reappear in quarantine after you deleted it.

My guess is it's somehow queued in your MTA (postfix?).

What does 'grep 11A003C0065 /var/log/mail.log' (or wherever your mail
logs are) show?

> From where is MailScanner getting this information that this ID is not
> processed corretly but i deleted already Processing.db? I cannot find
> the source of this information. Unfortunately i am still getting spammed
> every hour by mailscanner --processing hourly cronjob for days now,
> getting crazy :-)

It comes from the Processing.db. The question is why is it reappearing
there?  I think it must be comming from the MTA or maybe a MailScanner
queue. What's in /var/spool/MailScanner/nnnn where nnnn is the PID of
the running MailScanner, or if you are useing the MailScanner Milter
option whats in your milterin and milterout queues?