Maliscanner not checking SPF ?

Giovanni Panozzo giovanni at panozzo.it
Mon Jul 1 07:56:20 UTC 2019

Il 30/06/19 19:13, Shawn Iverson via MailScanner ha scritto:
> Just a thought, if DNS is working correctly, you may try recompiling the
> Mail::SPF from cpan and see if that works.

Yes! DNS was apparently working. Ubuntu 18.04 server by default has
systemd-resolved listening on 127.0.0.53 and 127.0.0.53 listed in
/etc/resolv.conf.
I sniffed some DNS packets on the loopback interface and I noticed
spamassassin sendig all SPF and RBL queries to 127.0.0.53 without the
"recursive" query DNS flag, causing systemd-resolved to fail with "refused".

Upgrading spamassiassin from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2 seems to fix this issue:
  cpan -f -i Mail::SpamAssassin
  sa-update
  reboot

Now SPF is checked correctly (provided that envelope_sender_header in
/etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.conf is set to the correct header, which
was not automatically done by MailScanner installer ;))

Thank you.