HTML disarming died, status = 13

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 21 18:13:53 UTC 2019

On 1/21/19 3:40 AM, Peter Farrow wrote:

> Having done some googling and testing it seems the HTML Parser timesout
> waiting for Spamassassin or something like that.

I don't think it's a timeout. The code in the DisarmHTMLEntity
subroutine in MailScanner/Message.pm, and it is complex, but it forks a
child process with a pipe for the child to do the disarming and pipe the
result back to the parent.

In this case, the parent is trying to read the result from the pipe and
gets an exit status = 13 which is a "permission error"

We've seen this before. See the threads starting at
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2016-May/103385.html>,
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2016-December/104138.html>,
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2017-January/104320.html>
and
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2017-August/104688.html>

I'm not sure that we've ever found a definitive cause/solution.