MailScanner 5.1.2 not working

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Oct 26 10:27:31 UTC 2018

Hai Nerijus,

> Not everyone uses mysql (mariadb) with MTA (postfix), so I
> don't know if After and Wants should contain mariadb.service by default.

I dont see why not, even it mysql/maria is not installed it wil not interfere with the working and startup of mailscanner.
If you look at my example.

Unit]
After=network-online.target remote-fs.target rsyslog.service mariadb.service postfix.service clamav-daemon.service
Wants=network-online.target mariadb.service postfix.service clamav-daemon.service

I would even preffer this to make it even more compatible, like :

[Unit]
After=network-online.target remote-fs.target rsyslog.service mariadb.service mysql.service postfix.service exim4.service clamav-daemon.service
Wants=network-online.target mariadb.service postfix.service clamav-daemon.service

If unit1 (mailscanner) has Wants=unit2 (multiple as shown above) as a dependency, when unit1 is started,
unit2 will be run as well. But whether unit2 starts successfully does not affect unit1 running successfully.

So you can add any service you want/need in combination with mailscanner.

The After is for the startup order, which can greatly improve the start up of you system
and i can recude log messages of started services that shoulded started later on.

I've reorded my start order for my anti-spam server to.

Bind
Network-online
MariaDB
Antivirus
postfix
Mailscanner

If you add Requires= then its an other thing, thats a hard requirement.
If unit1 Requires=unit2 and unit2 isnt starting then unit1 isnt starting also.

Greetz,

Louis