[Question] Remove These Headers and Outlook conversation view

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 16 01:58:02 UTC 2018

On 02/15/2018 03:57 PM, Eoin Kim wrote:
> Oh, wait.
>
> Schlake, after Message-ID is altered, is user's Outlook still fine with conversation view? Because I am not sure which criteria is used for conversation view in Exchange server.

Probably not, but consider the alternatives for the Outlook user.

If you don't munge the Message-ID:, she doesn't see the message with
attachment. but the "conversation" threading is maintained for the
message she did receive and subsequent messages.

If you do munge the Message-ID:, she sees both the message with and the
message without the attachment and both these messages are in the
"conversation" because their References: and In-Reply-To: headers are
intact. However subsequent replies to the message are only threaded to
the message without the attachment (assuming she doesn't delete it)
because they don't reference the munged Message-ID:.

Which of those scenarios do you think she'll prefer?

Of course all the above depends on how Outlook actually does threading
in "conversation" view, and I'm only guessing about that.