Attachment extension

qxh7 at bluewin.ch qxh7 at bluewin.ch
Fri Dec 21 11:05:27 UTC 2018

Hello,
I am using a quite old version of MailScanner (4.84.6-1) and I cannot update it for now because it has been massively patched.
I couldnt find another trace of the bug I am facing (besides from https://github.com/MailScanner/v5/issues/21 ) so I report it but I am not sure this is still present in the current version.
If a mail is sent with an attachment with parenthesis in the name, the detection for the file extension may break. For example, I had to rule to reject *.doc but a .docx was rejected.
I tested the very same file with a name "b\(b\).docx" and "b.docx", the second one was correctly accepted while the first one was stopped and reported to be a .doc file.
I also had a case of a mail where the attachment was containing chinese characters. If the name for that file was "directly in UTF8" in the headers (牌.docx), everything went fine but if the name was encoded (eg =?UTF-8?b?5b635Zu9YmFie...?=), then the file was seen as .doc
I made tests for .xlsx which ran into the same trouble to see the impact on our clients.
I also sent attachement named .docsjfgsqjlgjqsglq which then were seen as doc.
I didnt have enough time to run my tests with the current version of MailScanner, so please let me know if this is an old bug.
Best regards,