Mailscanner milter to reject high score spam at MTA level

David Jones djones at ena.com
Tue Aug 7 14:51:54 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 05:03 AM, info at schroeffu.ch wrote:

> Hi Mailscanner friends,
>
> is there any progress to make MailScanner usable as a postfix milter?
> The most biggest problem I have is, SPAM is not possible to reject when
> reaching a high score at MTA level. For my understanding, connect via
> milter instead of queue ^HOLD would be the solution.
>
> For the next decade we are still using MailScanner instead of others
> like Rspamd, because MailScanner is like a mail suite for mail security,
> but if there will never be the possibility to reject at MTA level the
> high score spam, we will also change in 1-3 years while replacing the OS
> beyond.

One of MailScanner's strongest features is it's batch mode processing
that will allow it to handle a very high volume of mail flow.  I doubt
that MailScanner will ever be changed to run as a milter for this reason.

I tried rspamd and found it wasn't as good as the author claims so no
reason to try to use that as a milter.  It also wasn't as fast as it
claims.  I could not send high volumes of mail through it like I could
with MailScanner.

If you want to block high scoring spam at the MTA level, I suggest using
amavis or spamd with the same SA rulesets as MailScanner.  This will get
you most of the power of MailScanner's blocking at the MTA.

https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

If you you use postscreen and postwhite at the Postfix MTA level, you
can block most of the obvious spam with a tuned list of RBLs.  See the
SA users mailing list over the past year for details on this from me and
a few others.

I suggest setting up a quick test VM with iRedmail to get a good example
of how to do TLS and amavis integration well with Postfix.

--
David Jones