Mailscanner failing to restart

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 28 17:51:54 UTC 2017

On 09/28/2017 08:01 AM, Richard Savage wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are running Mailscanner on Debian 8.9 as follows:
>
> MailWatch Version: 1.2.2
> MailScanner Version: 5.0.3
> ClamAV Version:
> SpamAssassin Version: 3.4.1
> PHP Version: 5.6.30-0+deb8u1
> MySQL Version: 5.6.37-log
> GeoIP Database Version: Thu, 04 May 2017 10:43:12 +0100 (download date)
> GeoIPv6 Database Version: Thu, 04 May 2017 10:43:12 +0100 (download date)

perl ??

> Upon updating /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules or
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.blacklist.rules and then restarting
> Mailscanner it crashes most times and the only way to get it back
> running again is to reboot the whole box:
>
> root at mta01:~# /etc/init.d/mailscanner restart
> Restarting MailScanner ...
> Can't locate strict.pm: /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/strict.pm:

strict.pm is a perl module. It shouldn't be at
/usr/share/MailScanner/perl/strict.pm. It should be at
/usr/share/perl/PERL_VERSION/strict.pm.

> Permission denied at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 27.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 27.

This is just 'use strict;'

It is unclear why perl is not finding strict.pm in this case. It is also
unclear why '/etc/init.d/mailscanner restart' fails in this way, but
'/etc/init.d/mailscanner start' succeeds when run by init on reboot.

> MailScanner restarted with process id 12992

What is pid 12992 at this point?
What does
  ps axww | grep '[M]ailScanner'
report at this point?

> Is this a known issue or yet to be fixed?

There are several changes in 5.0.6-4 including changing from init to
systemd for MailScanner stop/start/restart.