Question about MailScanner.conf

Wed Sep 20 10:28:27 UTC 2017

For the first time in a long time I thought I'd read the whole
configuration file including all the comments.

Then I noticed this:

# Main configuration file for the MailScanner Email Processor
#
# READ THIS FIRST!
# Instead of making changes directly to this file, you should put your
# configuration options in your own file in /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/
# Example file: /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/my_settings.conf
# However, if you are changing some variable definition which is used
# in other definitions in this file such as %org-name% in the first
# example below, you must also either change it in this file or copy
# all the definitions that use that variable into your own file.

Since I first started using MailScanner I've been editing the main
configuration file.

So which is the preferred method for using a custom MailScanner
configuration for

the current version. Continue editing the main configuration file since
a backup is

made when running the install.sh script and the file is updated when
updating.

Or leaving everything in the main configuration default and then create
custom

setting file(s) in conf.d?