Mailscanner 5.0.6-4 ant port 25 not listening

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at mailscanner.open.source.it
Mon Sep 4 11:22:57 UTC 2017

On Monday 04 September 2017 at 13:15:10, Marek Górny wrote:

> with postfix.service stoped:
>
> netstat -lpn | grep 25

(no TCP socket listening on port 25 in output displayed)

> and when postfix.service is started:
> netstat -lpn | grep 25
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>     31008/master

Okay, so that shows that when postfix is started, you have a process called
"master" (which is standard for postfix), with PID 31008 on this occasion,
listening on port 25.

When postfix is not started, you have nothing listening on port 25.

I realised after sending my last email that a better command to use is:

# netstat -lptn | grep :25

The "t" option restricts the output to TCP sockets only, and the colon in the
grep makes sure you only match port numbers.

But anyway, I think this has shown that postfix is indeed listening on port 25,
and if you stop it, nothing is listening on port 25.

Regards,

Antony.

--
I thought I had type A blood, but it turned out to be a typo.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.