Requeuing failed messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 3 01:05:15 UTC 2017

On 01/01/2017 05:08 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> If they are not saved as queue files, they are not in the correct format
> to be copied to (I assume Postfix's) hold queue.
>
> What you can do is just give them to Postfix as an incoming message. E.g.
>
> sendmail -i -t < quarantined_message_file
>
> which will process the message and presumably just put in in the hold
> queue for MailScanner.

On second thought, the above sendmail command is probably not a good
idea. The issue is that -t will send the message to all To: and Cc:
recipients in the message headers. This can include addresses which are
in other domains and which probably already received the message and may
not even include the intended recipient of the quarantined message
(e.g., a Bcc:).

It is better to do

sendmail -i user at example.com < quarantined_message_file

where user at example.com is the intended local recipient. Note that if the
MTA is Postfix, the quarantined message will have a topmost Received:
header of the form

	by your server ...
	for <user at example.com> ...

that will expose the recipient address.