postfix and mailscanner

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at juneau.org
Thu Dec 14 18:22:00 UTC 2017

I vaguely recall some discussion about that from probably 10 or more years ago.  IIRC, Jules’ steered away from that sort of approach, as it was called for each message.  He specifically designed MailScanner to work on batches for more efficiency.  I have no idea where the bell curve falls between the two.  With a low level volume it probably doesn’t make much difference but with a very large number of messages coming in there’s probably some efficiencies to be gained.  But with today’s hardware and memory available, it may be a wash.

I run MailScanner and Postfix and have never had a problem (that I know of).  I also reject a lot of mail at MTA time via greylisting, RBLs, SPF, and lack of full circle reverse DNS.  That means, of course, that if one of my users asked if mail was mis-identified as spam that I have to first check MailScanner (via the Mailwtch interface) and if I don’t see it there, jump onto the CLI and grep mail.log for filtered mail.  No biggie, but one stop shopping would be a welcome addition…

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.