postfix and mailscanner

Shawn Iverson iversons at rushville.k12.in.us
Wed Dec 13 23:49:57 UTC 2017

For anyone curious, I am researching creating a mailscanner milter for
postfix.  I have gotten as far to conclude it is possible and that it might
bring additional functionality when using postfix and mailscanner
together.  For example, it would be possible to reject a message for
various reasons and still have detailed reports on the messages.  It would
also be possible to have more granular whitelisting capabilities (virus
scan only, spam scan only, no scan, etc.).  It is a ways off, but I've been
looking at milter code on various things for a while.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Jerry Benton <jerry.benton at mailborder.com>
wrote:

> Because MailScanner does not use a proper milter for Postfix. Instead, it
> gets the email from a hold directory and drops it back in the Postfix
> queue.
>

> This is how it is supposed to work:
>
> Postfix > milter > hold > scan > injection to Postfix > delivery
>

> This is how it actually works:
>
> Postfix > hold > scan > drop into Postfix
>

> Technically, this is incorrect.
>

> --
> Jerry Benton
> www.mailborder.com