Max Spam Check Size

Thom van der Boon thom at vdb.nl
Wed Dec 13 20:34:54 UTC 2017

Hi

I am currently experiencing quite some spam messages which are not caught by MailScanner (about one every 5 minutes) because of the "Max Spam Check Size" parameter in MailScanner.conf

# Spammers do not have the power to send out huge messages to everyone as
# it costs them too much (more smaller messages makes more profit than less
# very large messages). So if a message is bigger than a certain size, it
# is highly unlikely to be spam. Limiting this saves a lot of time checking
# huge messages.
# Disable this option by setting it to a huge value.
# This is measured in bytes.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Max Spam Check Size = 200k

After reviewing the log files, all messages which are uncaught have a size between 200k and 225k (most arround 215k) and look to be targeted to get past a MailScanner installation

I would suggest to set the new default value for this parameter from 200k to at least 300k in a future MailScanner version.

Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards,

Thom van der Boon
E-Mail: thom at vdb.nl

=====