Phishing Server Change

Jerry Benton jerry.benton at mailborder.com
Thu Aug 3 05:03:07 UTC 2017

Please use the updated version of the phishing updates script from
http://phishing.mailscanner.info/

I am trying to reduce bandwidth and the new script uses curl as the primary
method, which support gzip by default. The fallback is wget, which uses more
bandwidth. Most servers are still using the older update script version that
uses wget as the primary method. (You cannot just tell wget to use gzip
because the downloaded file ends up staying compressed and thus useless.)

The phishing server does about 550GB per month in transfers. Using wget the
bad phishing file transfer size is 280081 and with curl it is 119027. That
is almost half the transfer size. I would like to try to get that 550GB
number down. I don't want to have to pull out the big stick and start
blocking wget user agents, so please help me out here.

As a side note, there is no point in updating the phishing files every hour.
They get updated six times per day. If you are running every hour, please
change your cron settings to something less taxing. Again, I don't want to
pull out the big stick and start throttling IPs that are updating too often.

--
Jerry Benton
www.mailborder.com