Can I quarantine a message based on the presence of a specific header line?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 19 23:31:32 UTC 2016

On 10/19/2016 01:08 PM, Richard Bollinger wrote:

> We have a system that tags outbound emails that should be quarantined by
> added a special mail header.  I'd like to use MailScanner to check for
> the presence that header and act accordingly, with the usual options
> specified by rules.  Is there a way to do this?

Yes. First define a SpamAssassin rule like

header FOUND_SPECIAL_HEADER  exists:Name-Of-Your-Header
describe FOUND_SPECIAL_HEADER Whatever you want to describe this
score FOUND_SPECIAL_HEADER 0.1

The score can be any non-zero value.

Then you can make a ruleset for SpamAssassin Rule Actions, e.g.

SpamAssassin Rule Actions = %rules-dir%/spam_rule_action.rules

and in that file put things like

To exempt at example.com FOUND_SPECIAL_HEADER=>deliver
>From other at example.com FOUND_SPECIAL_HEADER=>deliver
FromOrTo default FOUND_SPECIAL_HEADER=>store,discard

See
<https://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#SpamAssassin%20Rule%20Actions>