Upgrade Wrecks MailScanner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 14 16:57:44 UTC 2016

On 10/13/2016 10:33 PM, Jerry Benton wrote:
> Ok, enough.

I started a reply in this thread last night, but I discarded it and
decided to sleep on it. I see that now, pretty much everything I would
have said has been said.

The only thing I want to add is from my perspective as an open source
contributer (mostly to the GNU Mailman project - very little of my time
is spent on MailScanner), I found the entire tone of this thread to be
extremely negative starting with the Subject:.

I understand Paul was under a lot of pressure and probably didn't mean
to be so negative and blaming in tone, but it still came across that way
to me.

The message here is please understand that most open source projects are
not Mozilla, and the contributors are mostly volunteers who receive
nothing for their labor beyond the satisfaction of doing a good job
(better in many cases than the proprietary software vendors), so be kind
to us.

And Paul, if you really want to help, now that you have things sorted
out, if you could write up in a detailed and organized way what all your
issues were and how you solved them and post that here (with an
appropriate Subject:), I'm sure it would be helpful to others.