Upgrade Wrecks MailScanner

Daniel Malmgren daniel at kolefors.se
Fri Oct 14 05:56:47 UTC 2016

Hi Jerry.

First and foremost, thank you for all the work you've put into the
project! I'm also a developer in open source projects so I know how
ungrateful it is. I also know it is a problem that many users seem to
think they have the right to demand things, which they of course have no
right to do since they're not paying customers.

I myself didn't do the research that I should have done before upgrading
and so my mail server was down for almost a day before I found the
problems (now everything is up and running again). It's only a hobby
project though that is used by my family and neighbours and they aren't
paying me anything neither so they can live with it :-)

My advice regarding the problems that me and others have been having
with the upgrade is to look over the way that the custom scripts are
handled by the install script. In my case they were simply deleted and I
had to get them from backup. People could potentially have put much time
in customizing those scripts so deleting them isn't a good idea. I think
the installer should either leave them where they are and show a notice
about this or simply copy them over to the new location. At least the
ones that doesn't come with mailscanner (ie the ones that the user put
there himself).

/Daniel