Upgrade Wrecks MailScanner

Paul Scott sales at edenusa.com
Thu Oct 13 20:35:25 UTC 2016

Hello Daniel,

I have not tried the debug switch as of yet, but your point regarding the custom functions is a very good one, and this is what I've found.

1. For unknown reason, rather than simply copying over the files which are ALREADY in the "CustomFunctions" directory, into the NEW file location, the installer copies them into a directory of the following structure, then DELETES the old "CustomFunctions" directory (does not make any sense, I know):

[root at mail custom]# cd /root/ms_upgrade/saved.15549/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions

2. I just visited this directory, found the files, and copied them over to the NEW directory (again, not sure why the install script doesn't do that):

[root at mail custom]# cd /root/ms_upgrade/saved.15549/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions
[root at mail CustomFunctions]# dir
CustomAction.pm        MailWatch.pm  Ruleset-from-Function.pm  SQLSpamSettings.pm
GenericSpamScanner.pm  MyExample.pm  SQLBlackWhiteList.pm      ZMRouterDirHash.pm

[root at mail CustomFunctions]# cp MailWatch.pm /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/custom
[root at mail CustomFunctions]# cp SQLBlackWhiteList.pm /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/custom
[root at mail CustomFunctions]# cp SQLSpamSettings.pm /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/custom

3. I restarted all services (in fact, is there any specific order for restarting now?), and now everything appears to be working (YIPPEE), for the most part.  But still getting some errors running MailScanner --lint, including this one:

Config: calling custom end function SQLWhitelist
Closing down by-domain spam whitelist
commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/custom/MailWatch.pm line 92, <CLIENT> line 783.
Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at /usr/share/MailScanner/perl/custom/MailWatch.pm line 92, <CLIENT> line 783.

AND this one:

Auto: Found virus scanners: clamavmodule
LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  The virus database is older than 7 days!  ***
LibClamAV Warning: ***   Please update it as soon as possible.    ***
LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***

4. And every now and again, I get these kind of error messages in the maillog:
Oct 13 13:07:44 mail MailScanner[4773]: Could not open file >/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/4773/u9DK7gOS005688.header: No such file or directory
Oct 13 13:07:44 mail MailScanner[4773]: Cannot create + lock headers file /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/4773/u9DK7gOS005688.header

I noticed that there are a few other folks having the same or similar issues as I ran into using the install.sh script.  I feel that this is going to become a large support issue, and I feel badly for all of us out here in the world that are running into this problem.  It is not easy to fix after the script has done its job, and email is so critical to so many people, the stress level is going to be real hard on administrators.  I know I've spent a good 24+ hours on just getting back to a somewhat "normal" installation again.  If some of the other folks out there read through our entire threads back and forth (especially the stuff from Wolfgang), they may be able to piece together a fix that works for their installation, as I did.

Backing up everything prior to the install is not very feasible either, as unless you back up the entire system, you are still going to have issues.  Thank God that the install did make a backup on its own, but I didn't even know that until I started using locate to find my custom configuration files.  Thank you very much for your valuable input and assistance!  How is your installation working for you at this time?

Paul Scott
www.edenusa.com