Upgrade Wrecks MailScanner

Wolfgang Baudler wbaudler at gb.nrao.edu
Wed Oct 12 20:17:41 UTC 2016

> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> Thank you so much for this file.  I put it up under the /etc/init.d
> directory, and named it "MailScanner", but I do not know how to register
> it as a service, nor what permissions it should have, or even what name it
> actually should be.  However, I just fired it up manually, and it only
> starts the "mailscanner" service, and not the sendmail service.  So I am
> in the same place for now, and that is, MailScanner is not scanning email.

I would leave the name as mailscanner-sendmail. It does not start the
mailscanner service. You will still need the mailscanner service coming
with MailScanner 5.x. The script needs to be started before the
mailscanner service is launched, though.

Once you have it in /etc/init.d, you can persistently activate it with

chkconfig --add mailscanner-sendmail
chkconfig mailscanner-sendmail on

Then reboot or manually stop/start mailscanner using

/etc/init.d/mailscanner-sendmail stop
/etc/init.d/mailscanner stop

/etc/init.d/mailscanner-sendmail start
/etc/init.d/mailscanner start