MailScanner v5 Beta Available

Jerry Benton jerry.benton at mailborder.com
Wed May 4 09:38:38 UTC 2016

- Good point. I will think about that.

- Because I did not write every single ms-* file. I wrote some of them, rewrote some of them, cleaned up a bunch of them, and some stayed the same. You should be able to tell which ones I wrote as they all follow the same basic logic and operate the same basic way using the /etc/MailScanner/defaults file.

- The init script was standardized. Perviously it was not. Having to maintain 10 different init scripts for 10 different distros was a pain in the ass. There is now one init script. Based on your distro you can symlink to that file and now the same exact init script works across all distros. The /usr/sbin/MailScanner executable maintains its own PID file, loads itself into the background, and handles all of the Child processes. There is no need to write a distro specific init system for it. You just need something that can start/stop/reload/restart/kill/status the same way. You can also create a systemd-based thing if you like, but you don’t have to. (On RHEL 7 anyway.)

You need to realize that very few people actually help me with MailScanner. Mark and Andrew put sanity checks on user submitted bugs and tweak the base code where needed. Mark also helps me test things and sanity checks my ideas. You have volunteered to help with the documentation. But other than that, even when I ask the community for help, I hear crickets most of the time. All of the update servers, the website, the repository, and everything else costs me a lot of time and, usually, money as well. (Thank you to the two people that have taken the time to donate a little money over the years. It is only $110 total, but it help pay for a month or two and I appreciate the gesture.)

So when I set out to standardize v5, I did it in a manner that would be easier to learn and maintain across multiple NIX platforms. Stuff was, and still is in the Perl code to a large degree, all over the place. You have said you were a long time MailScanner user. You should then be able to remember how MailScanner used to be packaged and installed with multiple sources that would get dated. Install scripts were not standardized, CPAN was not used, locations were different, and a lot of how things worked was a total mystery.

I have brought this project a LONG way in standardizing how it works and improving totally replacing things like the phishing update system. Not everyone is going to like what I do, but I can guarantee you that everyone on every NIX is going to be doing it the same way.

-
Jerry Benton
www.mailborder.com