MailScanner v5 Beta Available

John Wilcock john at tradoc.fr
Wed May 4 08:45:23 UTC 2016

Hi Jerry,

Started to take a look at this for gentoo, based on your nix tarball and
the existing gentoo ebuild for MS 4.84. I haven't got as far as a
working ebuild yet, but I do have some initial questions and suggestions:

  * Why put the init and wrapper scripts in /var/lib/MailScanner? /var
    is for files that are expected to vary during normal operation. The
    wrappers used to be in /usr/lib/MailScanner/ on gentoo
    (/opt/MailScanner/lib in the old tarball) but they aren't really
    libraries as such anyway. Wouldn't it make more sense to put them in
    /usr/sbin/ms-* or possibly /usr/share/MailScanner/wrappers?
    I'm not sure where the init script ought to go though. On gentoo
    with OpenRC I won't use it anyway, I'll reuse the one in the
    existing ebuild. Dunno about other init systems.

  * Not all of the /usr/sbin/ms-* scripts actually source the defaults
    file, yet some of them define their own equivalent variables and
    others use hardcoded paths in places where they ought to be using
    the directory variables.

  * How about adding a variable in the defaults file for the command
    used to reload the MS daemon (the update-bad-emails script already
    has $mailscanner_restart for this)? You're currently using
    /var/lib/MailScanner/init/ms-init reload, but this command needs to
    change depending on the init system used. I haven't looked to see
    what you've done in the other distro versions but presumably you
    have different commands especially for systemd-based distros anyway,
    so a variable will improve cross-distro maintainability.

--
John