Warning: skipping message as it has been attempted too many times

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 27 07:35:36 UTC 2016

On 07/26/2016 11:56 PM, Mark Meelhuysen wrote:
> Indeed, the directory failed to be created again last night.
> The owner of the quarantinedirectory is root with group apache.
> The owner of all subdirs is postfix with group apache. Security is 770.
> MailScanner.conf settings:
> Run As User = postfix
> Run As Group = postfix
> Is it ok then that the dirs. Have group apache?

That's not the problem. It's OK. The quarantine directory needs to be
owned by postfix. That's the issue because MailScanner running as
postfix can't create quarantine/yyyymmdd with it owned by root and group
apache.

sudo chown postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine

> Is there some logging where the error is logged when the system was not able to create the quarantine directory?

I think it should be logged in the mail.log where other MailScanner log
messages are logged, but I'm not sure that it is.