Virus Scanners

Apu apu at nocservices.com
Sat Jan 30 06:14:56 UTC 2016

On 1/30/16 1:07 AM, Jerry Benton wrote:
> Honestly, how many AV’s on that list are actually still in use? Maybe
> 6 or 8? Well, there are about 40 in the config when you include the
> daemonized versions as well. We could cut down SweepVirus.pm to about
> half the size with about a third of the checks. Which = faster
> scanning, less overhead, less dated code to maintain.
>
> Comments?

I would suggest a move to more of a "plug-in" architecture.

Use the existing code as the examples that one could just drop in to use
any of the anti-virus solutions but leave the AV configuration for the
administrator doing the install and get rid of the "auto" selection of
AV engines.  Working out of the box is great, but there is enough other
stuff that has to be configured to work properly that asking one more
question (which AV engines should we enable?) is probably not going to
break any camels' backs.

--
Apu <apu at nocservices.com>