MailScanner v5?

William D. Colburn wcolburn at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 28 15:15:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 03:08:47AM -0500, Jerry Benton wrote:
>Ok, I am looking at the structure of MailScanner, and it just is not fun. For example, take the executable update_virus_scanners . For someone that doesn???t really know MailScanner, what program does that file belong to? This relates to my effort to restructure based on FHS. I am also trying to make sure everything is consistent across every distro.
>
>In short, I want to make MailScanner consistent and much simpler to manage and operate.

This isn't the dark ages anymore, running an rpm -qf of
/usr/sbin/update_virus_scanners will tell you.  But, from my point of
view, the whole layout of MailScanner is just a disaster.  To get it to
install at my site I have to remove /usr/local and make it a symlink to
/usr.  And then it splats things all over the place like a Jackson
Pollack install.  I couldn't even make the latest version install
directly, I could only do the upgrade from a previous version to make it
work.

What I'd like to see is a self contained directory, most packages seem
to opt for /opt/PackageName, that I can move with an environment
variable or symlink.  It would be extra nice if I could install it with
rpm --relocate and have it work.  I would prefer to see everything---the
/etc/ files, the /var/spool/ files, all the perl libraries---rooted in
the base install.  Of course, if this is a wishlist, I'd like to add
"stop using perl!!!" as well.  :)

>PS - If your comment is not constructive and follows the general theme of ???you???re stupid, Jerry???, please feel free to not comment.

So much for plan A...

--Schlake