MailScanner v4.85.3-1

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 13 02:07:28 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 03:51 PM, Jerry Benton wrote:

> What do you think?
>
> /etc/MailScanner/custom
>
> or
>
> /usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions
>

> The first is more user friendly, but I am wondering if it is technically correct as per the FHS?

FHS doesn't want executable code in /etc. This actually creates
difficulty. For example the configuration file for GNU Mailman is
mm_cfg.py and while it is configuration data, it is also executable
Python code.

Packagers who attempt to package Mailman in an FHS compliant manner
generally compromise and put the file elsewhere with the rest of the
Mailman code and symlink it from /etc/mailman.

I think this is appropriate in this case, i.e. CustomFunctions in
/usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions but symlinked from
/etc/MailScanner/custom or /etc/MailScanner/CustomFunctions.