MailScanner v4.85.3-1

Mark Sapiro mark at
Tue Jan 12 23:46:01 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 10:03 AM, Jerry Benton wrote:
> I haven’t tested these yet. If I could get some help doing that, it would be great. I will release them after I get confirmation or when I get time to test them all myself.

I've run into issues.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.3.

I first unpacked and

I think I answered No to "Auto upgrade MailScanner.conf?".

The script ran and successfully installed everything as far as I can tell.

Part of the output to the terminal and log was

> Upgrading /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
> Your old configuration file will be saved as:
> /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.old.26147
> Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1.
> Added new: Web Bug Replacement =
> Added new: Lockfile Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks
> Added new: include /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/*
> Summary
> -------
> Read 361 settings from old /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
> Used 359 settings from old /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
> Used 4 default settings from new /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.dpkg-dist

The "Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1." may indicate a
problem, but the real issue is after the script terminated I had 3
MailScanner.conf files, MailScanner.conf, MailScanner.conf.dpkg-dist and
MailScanner.conf.old.26147 and they were all identical. Perhaps this is
because I answered No to "Auto upgrade MailScanner.conf?".

I proceeded to update "MailScanner Version Number" to  4.85.3 in
MailScanner.conf and ran MailScanner --lint. That looked good so I
restarted MailScanner and that looks good too.

Now for the problems:

The install created /etc/init.d/MailScanner with the same content as
/etc/init.d/mailscanner except for one spelling mailscanner - >
MailScanner, but /etc/init.d/mailscanner was still there and all the
rc[0-6].d symlinks were the lower-case versions.

I fixed this by removing the lower-cased ones and running 'update-rc.d
MailScanner default'

This led to an issue in that /etc/cron.hourly/mailscanner contained

invoke-rc.d mailscanner start >/dev/null 2>&1;

which needed to be changed to

invoke-rc.d MailScanner start >/dev/null 2>&1;

The next issue is I was concerned that I may have missed something new
in MailScanner.conf even though the 3 "Added new:" things were already
there, so I tried re-running, this time answering Yes to
"Auto upgrade MailScanner.conf?".

I have tried this few times now and each time I get

> Setting up mailscanner (4.85.3-1) ...
> ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/etc/MailScanner/custom/CustomFunctions’: File exists
> dpkg: error processing package mailscanner (--install):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Processing triggers for man-db ( ...
> Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>  mailscanner
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Installation Error
> The MailScanner package failed to install. Address the required
> dependencies and run the installer again.

I previously (i.e. before the first install) had a symlink

/etc/MailScanner/custom ->

and that directory had several .pm files only. Now it also contains a
symlink back to the directory. I.e.

/usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/CustomFunctions ->

I have tried removing one or both of these symlinks and rerunning, but each time it puts the symlinks back and then fails as above.

Other than that, MailScanner seems to now be running OK on this server.

Mark Sapiro <mark at>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the MailScanner mailing list