Mailscanner Status = Stopped

Walt Thiessen wt at dld2000.com
Wed Sep 23 19:42:06 UTC 2015

MailScanner's status on my server keeps showing stopped whenever I check
it via WHM, but the logs in MailWatch show continuous activity.

In particular, between 7 AM and nearly 10 AM today, I kept getting email
notifications from my server that the MailScanner service was down, even
though emails were passing through MailScanner's logs (as shown in
MailWatch). After 34 failed attempts to restart during that time, it
successfully restarted at just before 10 AM.

That wasn't the end of the problem, just a time slice of it. However, I
haven't received email notifications since then of the service being
down, even though it currently shows that the service is stopped in WHM.

The Message Listing log in MailWatch periodically shows entries like
this one (I've replaced specific names with generic placeholders in
square brackets):

23/09/15 09:00:44     root@ [hostname]     root@[hostname]     lfd on
[hostname]: Excessive resource usage: [account-on-hostname] (1468
(Parent PID:30444))     1Kb     0.00     W/L

Clicking MailScanner Restart in ConfigServer MailScanner FE doesn't help
to solve this issue.

Can anyone advise me why this might be happening? My server admins have
looked at it, and they're stumped so far.

Walt