v4.85.1.0 Beta for Linux RPM Available

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Wed Feb 18 20:00:27 GMT 2015

Kevin Miller wrote:
> So I'm confused.  Pretty much my normal state <g>.
>
> Is the clamavmodule loaded at MS startup, or merely installed on the
> drive?  If the latter, then there's no performance hit unless you're
> down to your last few hundred bytes of free space, in which case you
> probably have imminent bigger issues.
>
> In my MailScanner.conf is the line:
>   Virus Scanners = f-secure clamd
>
> I get hits with both scanners, so apparently clamd is working as
> advertised.  I don't understand the reference to "network code" and
> "moving toward spamd support".  Isn't spamd support there already?

If MS is not configured to use the module it doesn't load anything. The
network code statement really should have read sockets in general, TCP or
unix as both clamd and spamd will talk on either. With clamd MailScanner
communicates with the daemon via sockets (TCP/unix) and there is nothing
loaded such as signatures. MailScanner does NOT use spamd it uses a perl
module much like clamav module so for each child everything is loaded, IIRC
it's on the order of about 30+MB per child. MailScanner has no use for a
running instance of spamd, if it did it would reduce the MailScanner foot
print nearly as much as supporting clamd did way back when I first wrote the
code and JF finally agreed to include it in the code base.