MS Gateway for Exchange 2013 - Any LDAP documentation?

Kevin Miller kevin.miller at juneau.org
Tue Aug 11 22:50:02 UTC 2015

The problem with 2013 is that it rejects after the DATA phase, meaning that the connection with the sending server is long gone by the time the reject happens.  This, of course, leads to blowback to innocent users.

I have my MailScanner gateways pointing at my old exchange 07 server to do recipient validation with SMF-SAV.  It's an extra hop but it works.  Microsoft did away with the edge transport in 2013, but has just recently reintroduced it.  See http://windowsitpro.com/blog/exchange-2013-SP1-edge-transport-server-role-returns - we're going to toss one in the mix so we can reclaim the Exchange 07 box.  Typical Microsoft to take two years to fix something so wantonly broken.  But at least they *finally* read the memo.  Or, more specifically, the RFC.

On my new postfix boxes I'm using getadsmtp.pl (google it).  I massage the output to only include the addresses I want available to the public, then write that to the recipient table.  I run it nightly.  Takes about 30 seconds to run.  I'll probably deprecate it after the edge transport server is built but in the mean time it works just dapper...

...Kevin