{Disarmed} Re: Mailscanner use a lots of RAM

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Sun Apr 12 14:28:55 UTC 2015

On 4/11/2015 9:50 PM, Alex Neuman wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
>
> Web Bug from
> http://t.signauxneuf.com/e1t/o/5/f18dQhb0S7ks8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9gXrN7sKj6v5dcLCW8qSMPl2zhrHPN4WJlXjQFLCHVLXL-m1k1H6H0?si=5887134288314368&pi=ac6a6638-f82d-4214-e1d0-f6c2d70ad7b1

Except that, unless I've been misinterpreting the output of top for all
these years, the buffers column of the output reflects how many K of
memory are used as buffers -- ie: how much of "used" memory is really
"available". BTW: The top-reported buffers and the amount of buffered
memory being reported by `free -m` correlate with each-other. (and from
the "mailscanner running" clipping to the "mailscanner stopped" one, the
amount of memory allocated to buffers actually went UP.)

And 1.5GB difference in memory utilization can seem pretty alarming. But
what we don't know based on looking at difference, is: What was
mailscanner doing when it was running, and what else was running /
occupying memory that ALSO stopped before taking the second snap.

Looking at the top five lines of top's output gives you an overview of
what's going on, but you REALLY need to look at the detail area to point
any fingers. (NOTE: you can change the columns being displayed, and how
you sort by hitting 'f' -- see the man page)(NOTE #2: If you add columns
to top's display, you may have to make your window wider or scroll left
and right in order to be able to see them.)

On my system with 2GB of RAM, sitting mostly idle, after 8.5 days of uptime:
The master mailscanner process has 676kB resident in memory and 33.7MB
in swap.
Each of 3 mailscanner child processes has ~100MB resident and ~20MB in swap.
clamd has 304MB resident and 768k in swap
(I just noticed that I'm still on 4.84.6-1)

Conceivably, if the OP had Mailscanner.conf set to keep 15 mailscanner
processes around, that might explain the difference.