ot a bit: sendmail and TO mx not found

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Tue Sep 2 16:49:23 IST 2014

Continuing further, as my previous reply you only try the secondaries in
the event of a temporary error.  A timeout includes a temporary error,
but a failure to resolve_*/does not /*_:

    The lookup first attempts to locate an MX record associated with the
    name.  If a CNAME record is found, the resulting name is processed as
    if it were the initial name.  If a non-existent domain error is
    returned, this situation MUST be reported as an error.  If a
    temporary error is returned, the message MUST be queued and retried
    later (seeSection 4.5.4.1  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.4.1>).  If an empty list of MXs is returned,
    the address is treated as if it was associated with an implicit MX
    RR, with a preference of 0, pointing to that host.