ot a bit: sendmail and TO mx not found

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Sep 2 16:33:18 IST 2014

rfc5321 does not say that, as I read it. It says:

The lookup first attempts to locate an MX record associated with the

   name.  If a CNAME record is found, the resulting name is processed as

   if it were the initial name.  If a non-existent domain error is

   returned, this situation MUST be reported as an error.

You cannot report as error and continue on with delivery, this doesn't mean
log an error it means
cease and report as error ( not even defer). Assuming this is what you are
speaking of the correct
thing to do would be to try the primary and (assuming it returned a cname)
stop the delivery attempt
when it cannot be resolved.

  _____