ot a bit: sendmail and TO mx not found

ja at conviator.com ja at conviator.com
Tue Sep 2 13:19:46 IST 2014

hi

its a bit OT but I hope its OK anyway. We are also using Mailscanner as
outbound scanner and see a problem that I cannot figure out - probably
some setting im missing.

sometimes "we" send emails to a domain where the primary MX record does
not resolve. I would have expected that sendmail would just try the next
but instead it resolves to mxrecord.name.OURDOMAIN.COM (I think) - it
seams it appends our domain and then tries this server and this server
says "no thanks" so the delivery fails.

I tried to lookup the MX myself using the same nameserver as the
mailscanner server is using - this fails so its not the DNS server that
appends something to make it resolveable or gives out a standard IP.

I also checked the resolve file to check that there is not search
setting that would make it search our domain for a valid IP/lookup.

how can I stop this behavior and make it try the next MX in line?

best regards
Jan