Spamassassin rules not firing correctly

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri May 2 10:15:58 IST 2014

This is a common misunderstanding. SA via MS may not use the same config
files than SA run manually.
SA uses /etc/mail/spamassassin
MS uses /etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.conf symlinked to
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

You may have removed the mailscanner.conf link and changed the path in
MailScanner.conf to use /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
directly. Or something similar I don't imagine. You may also have some
extra user-specific config just for the user root.

You can run --lint -v for both (I think) to get an idea of which config
files are getting used, this should tell you how to correct it.

My general recommendation (if you know SA well enough to configure it
yourself) is:
- use only the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin for SA config
- remove the symlink and touch /etc/mail/mailscanner.conf, so that it
becomes a zero-sized file
- put the config you want to have in the traditional file
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (e.g. merge what's there with what you
want from spam.assassin.prefs.conf) (or use more than one file, as you
like, just make sure you don't have conflicting settings, merge resonably)

By doing so, you always get the same configuration, no matter which way
you run SA. And the MS rpm will not attempt to set the symlink.

Kai