Score on attachments

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Fri Jun 27 22:01:06 IST 2014

Max Kipness wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've asked this before, but never got an answer and thought I would
> give it another shot.
>
> I sometimes get spam with attachments that are usually SCR files. For
> example just a few minutes ago I received about 401k fund
> participants/performance. Everything on my MailScanner system is setup
> correctly. I'm using Bayes (manual), Razor, Pyzor, DCC, custom rules,
> you name it. So this message received a Bayes 999, which is correct.
> But nothing else was triggered. I'm looking at some type of custom
> rule, but I sure would be nice if we could score on an attachment
> present in general, or certain extensions like an SCR. Or if we could
> score on the fact that the message was caught by MailScanner with an
> attachment warning.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Max

You do not say what your MTA is but I have to assume postfix or sendmail (I
use exim) have some kind of mime type blocking as does exim so it's easy to
either reject or dev/null any email that has a .scr file attached (or any
other type for that matter) and it never get's to MailScanner or the user. I
dump about 1/2 dozen different file types that should never be sent (un
archived) including .src, right at the MTA level

Rick