Treat Invalid Watermarks with No Sender as Spam

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Feb 26 01:12:33 GMT 2014

It might be instructive to look at the original message that Tim McCord sent to Paul Imkamp rather than just the delivery report for it.  That way you could verify that the watermark went out on it.  Do you have multiple paths out or just the one?  Your message to gmail did look fine
Rather than setting the action to high scoring spam, maybe try setting it to a value – say 1.  The other spamassassin tests should push it over the top if it’s actually spam, and if it’s not, adding a little to the score shouldn’t hurt too much.  Play with the score until you find a value that catches spam w/o incurring false positive.  Ultimately, you can’t control what the far end does.
One thing though.  The mail coming in lacking a watermark shouldn’t trigger the rule.  My understanding is, it fires when there’s an invalid watermark AND no from user.  I have many messages that don’t have anything in the “from field” (envelope from).  That’s a normal thing in an NDR and such but they come right through just fine.  I don’t see anything in the post on pastebin to indicate that it failed because of the watermark.  Why do you think that’s the case?
 ...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.