What to migrate to.

Jerry Benton jerry.benton at mailborder.com
Mon Nov 4 17:42:09 GMT 2013

The three primary ones are:

- Baruwa
- Mailborder
- Mailwatch

I am the creator for Mailborder, so my opinion is of course biased towards
my own product.

Baruwa is the most mature in a production environment. I do know that if
you use Debian or a variant such as Ubuntu, it it relatively easy to
install. As far as I know, all of the source is open. There are both free
and commercial versions. I'd suggest looking into it more for comparisons.
However, I am sure you are aware of its features since you have been using
it for a while.

Mailborder has been used privately for about 8 years and available to the
public for about a year. The latest version (v4) is a total redesign of v3
based on customer feedback. While also easy to install and setup, you need
to have a good understanding of MailScanner and MTAs to configure the
advanced layering of policies. There is both a free and paid version. Paid
versions allow for more domains, clustering, etc. Most of the source is
open, but part of it is closed and encoded. (PHP files for the web
interface, etc.) If you speak a language that there is currently not a GUI
translation for, you can get free unlimited licenses by maintaining the
translation for that language. (Easy after the first translation.)

Mailwatch is the oldest of the three. However, as far as I know, it is not
as actively developed as Mailborder and Baruwa. Support is also limited as
Mailborder and Baruwa have websites with free and paid support options
where Mailwatch does not. (As far as I know of anyway.)

You can test all of them for free. I would suggest doing that and then
deciding for yourself. While all of them are similar in several areas, each
of them have various features not available in the other.

Jerry Benton
www.mailborder.com

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Lance Haig <lhaig at haigmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been an avid mailscanner user for many years now and I have
> recently been running a MS server with Baruwa front-end.
> Recently no matter what I do I seem to be letting SPAM and Virus mail
> through, and loads of russian spam.
>
> So I think it is time to rebuild my server as it has been running for
> more than 2 years and I do like to rebuild the OS from time to time.
>
> So my question is:
>
> What is a good combination of MS / Front End/ addition scripts and rules
> that will make a good MS solution for my small installation.
>
> I only use this for personal mail domains so don't have budget for a
> paid solution.
>
> I host my current server on a kvm host on my main server.
>
> I would really appreciate some guidance
>
> Thanks
>
> Lance
>
> --