storing messages - recap...

Jerry Benton jerry.benton at mailborder.com
Mon May 27 20:10:10 IST 2013

These are the primary things I check for when dealing with this problem:

1. Selinux. Put in permissive and then build custom policies. Return to
enforcing.
2. MailScanner Run As and directory ownership and permissions.
3. MailScanner store messages as user matches permissions.
4. Making sure you add the -U option to MailScanner for the newer versions
of perl.

sed -i 's:#!/usr/bin/perl -I:#!/usr/bin/perl -U -I:g' /usr/sbin/MailScanner

Also regarding permissions, I personally like to create an extra group and
then add postfix and clamav to that group. I then use that group in all
settings and use group writeable permissions. (0660)

YMMV

Jerry Benton

PS..  run MailScanner --lint and post here if the above does not help.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Alessandro Dentella <sandro at e-den.it>wrote:

> While trying to debug why MailScanner does not save messages in
> /var/spool/mailScanner/qurantine I compared 2 almost identical machines.
> One is working correctly (efa) and from that machine I copied MailScanner
> conf to the other (smtp):
>
>   smtp# cd /etc
>   smtp# mv MailScanner MailScanner.orig
>   smtp# rsync -a efa:/etc/MailScanner .
>
> then restarted MailScanner
>
> While 'efa' saves correctly messages 'smtp' does not.
> My uderstanding of how MailScanner works is probably wrong since otehrwise
> they should both work.
>
> The onlu difference between efa and smtp is in postfix configuration.
>
> My understanding is that postfix puts on HOLD via the header_checks =
> regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks (/var/spool/postfix/hold/) and from there
> MailScanner read the message, clean and take any needed action.
>
> If this is correct no other agent apart from MailScanner are responsible
> for
> copying from postfix/hold to MAilScanner/quarantine.
>
> So, How could possibily behave different on 2 identical machines?
>
> sandro
> *:-)

Jerry Benton
Mailborder Systems