Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules

Robert Lopez rlopezcnm at gmail.com
Wed May 22 22:42:49 IST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you should send us the "Scan Messages" line from your
> MailScanner.conf file and what you have in your file that is pointed to
> in by line above.
>
> Have you restarted or reloaded MS since you changed the file?
>
> Depending on what you have in that line and file, you probably shouldn't
> be seeing those lines in your mail log.
>
> steve campbell

The situation I am trying to understand is email being scanned by
SpamAssassin when I thought
I had all the systems configured to not scan the email at all.

Email generated by an office where the persons use Outlook to compose
email goes to an Exchange server and it is then relayed to an email
gateway. These email are from CNM_Official_Info at cnm.edu to
students at cnm.edu. The email gateway relays the email to a Mailman ($
postmap -q students /etc/postfix/virtualaliases -> students at listserv)
server.

Mailman then sends the message to all the students who are members of
the students list.  So each student has a copy generated that is from
students-bounces at cnm.edu to <individual-student>@cnm.edu which is sent
back to the email gateways.

A Postfix rewrite via a virtualaliases map sends each email from
students-bounces at cnm.edu to <individual-student>@...gmail.com.

MailScanner.conf and conf.d/CNM-MailScanner.conf (newest gateway)
all have "Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules".
I had put both 'From' in scan.messages.rules:

From:  students-bounces at cnm.edu  no
From:  cnm_official_info at cnm.edu no    #This is not a case match to original

This directive and data file have been working for years.
However yesterday I noticed the email in this case (students list)
do get a SpamAssassin score and my thinking is this should not be happening.

Each email has a line such as this example:

May 20 12:55:08 mg04 MailScanner[11127]: Message 55370642025.7712B
from 198.133.182.29 () to cnm.edu is not spam, SpamAssassin (not
cached, score=-1.699, required 6, autolearn=disabled, CNM_EXCUSE 0.30,
CNM_FROM -1.00, CNM_ITS -1.00, HTML_MESSAGE 0.00)

There has been no recent change to any of these files. MailScanner is always
restarted or reloaded when ever any configuration file is modified. In fact,
the scripts to modify any component and copy them to the gateways do the
force-reload and test ($?) to see the return status.

--
Robert Lopez
Unix Systems Administrator