Watermarking and spoofed sender address

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Mar 21 00:12:17 GMT 2013

Sounds good.  The thing about SPF is it validates where a message is *from*, not to.  Basically, you tell it (in DNS) which servers are authorized to send mail as SOMEONE at cnm.edu<mailto:SOMEONE at cnm.edu>.  It's not so much a filter for inbound mail as it is a way for mail servers to determine whether mail actually came from your server or not.  The effect of that however is that you can filter on mail coming in because you can verify the source.  If it came from one the hosts you've authorized, it's valid, at least as far as SPF is concerned.  And if I receive a message that claims to be from you, I can also validate the source.

Linux Journal had a couple of good articles on it about 6 or 7 years ago. You might hit their web site and see if they're still available.  They're worth the read...

 ...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.