mailscanner + exim release from out queue

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Apr 30 13:56:14 IST 2013

Sorry for top posting but this html is horrible to quote

I NEVER bounce anything , ever. Once it is accepted it's my problem. Below
is a partial (fairly complete) list of checks I do before we even get to the
data phase or any scanning and the first thing done during data is
domainkey/dkim checks

Helo:
    1. Attempting to helo as part of one of my domains and is not
    2. Non fqdn or ip literals properly formatted in brackets
([192.168.2.2])
    3. specific domains that should not be used such as
local/internal/localdomain
    4. invalid hostnames such as localhost
    5. blank (e)helo
    6. my own server name
    7. couple more special cases

Rcpt :
    1. black listed hosts or domains
    2.  missing both A and MX records ( not due to dns failure)
    3. spf hard fail
    4. Not authenticated from a local user (unless from a valid, internal
relay)
    5. from or to user that is never used from or to external host (root,
ftp, wheel, etc) that is coming from external source
    6. specific countries we never do business with but stats show very high
percentage of spam (to our servers)
    7. invalid domain parts
    8. above a certain threshold of invalid recipients
    9. Too many recipients if not an authenticated user
  10. Several rbls
   11. invalid local part (invalid user)

doing the checks before data stops the most part before we have to waste
time spooling, and many of these rules result in being added (for various
periods of time) to the firewall so there is no second chance for
hours/days/weeks.

Rick

  _____