Bouncing messages with missing From: info

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Mon Apr 15 17:31:53 IST 2013

The Exchange default (really stupid) is not to reject non-existent
users, so even if you are doing an SMTP call-ahead to verify recipients
it won't do any good unless Exchange is configured to reject invalid users.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125187.aspx

Also note that a From header is mandatory for all messages see RFC5322
section 3.6.  For bounce messages the envelope sender is null to prevent
mail loops, the from header is usually MAILER DAEMON or
postmaster at generating.host.name.

Regards,
Steve.