maillscanner/postfix saturates bandwidth :-(

Harondel J. Sibble mailscanner at pdscc.com
Mon Sep 24 18:15:26 IST 2012

Had an odd situation that started Friday night at one of my clients running a
mailscanner/mailwatch mail relay for their internal Exchange 2007 server.

Basically the dsl connection they share with another office was saturated
when the office admin did a mailout on friday to about 2000 of their
subscribers, each email was about 3.5mb total with conversion overhead.  When
I say saturated, I mean in both the upstream and downstream directions.
According the admin who runs the multitenant network in this office, he was
seeing a sustained 1.6mb/s INBOUND connection to my client's firewall while
this was happening.

I intially though that someone had hacked in and was injecting spam, but
after upstream throttling of the connection and disabling all smtp traffic, I
was able to review the messages in the postfix deferred queue and determine
they were part of the mailout.

At this point mailq was showing 14 messages with approx 100 recipients total,
I could then re-enable smtp traffic (in/out) at the firewall level and emails
would be fine sending and receiving, but if I did a postqueue -f, the
connection would saturate again until I blocked the smtp traffic, then waited
a couple minutes before re-enabling it and the messages went back to being
deferred.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal witih this moving forward, is
there additional throttling I need to do at the postifx level or the
mailscanner level or something else.  I was also surprised as my understand
of postfix is that it does connection throttling by default.
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting