Filter by IP

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Mon Sep 17 20:32:58 IST 2012

What I would do is set up DNS to handle mail to mxtest.DOMAIN for inbound mail.  I presume you want to receive mail on this machine - NDRs and such at least.  That will keep the test stuff on the production servers.  After your satisfied, rename the mail server, and add it to the mix of MX records that handle real mail.

Sendmail uses a file called access to control connectivity.  I'm sure Postfix must as well.  With it, you can specify who and what can send/relay/receive mail on that host.  You should be able to tell it to only accept from specific IPs or subnets, email addresses or domains, etc.

Let your MTA handle who it will talk to.  When it is configured to send/receive from your specific domains, then route mail through that host and begin testing MailScanner.

MailWatch is worth installing.

HTH...

 ...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.