Mailscanner stuck in endless loop

Sander Klein roedie at roedie.nl
Mon Sep 17 07:56:24 IST 2012

On 17.09.2012 06:43, Andrew Colin Kissa wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2012, at 4:41 PM, Diego wrote:
>
>> USe Debian 6 and postfix and MailScanner
>>
>> Binary package hint: mailscanner
>> Mailscanner is stuck in an endless loop; it scans the messages held
>> in the postfix queue again and again and there are no "requeue"
>> notices, like on a working server. In the mean time, server is
>> incapable of processing mail, unless the scanner is disabled, and in
>> my case, Postfix does not hold incoming messages.
>
> It could be this bug[1] that is causing your issue, you are still
> running 4.79, please upgrade to a more recent version as your issues
> may be fixed with in the later
> versions, if not resolved try running with -U

I you've upgraded to the latest version and see taint errors in file.pm
then edit the file PFDiskstore.pm at the line ~629:

sub CopyEntireMessage {
   my $this = shift;
   my($message, $targetdir, $targetfile, $uid, $gid, $changeowner) = @_;

   #print STDERR "Copying to $targetdir $targetfile\n";
   if (MailScanner::Config::Value('storeentireasdfqf')) {

change to:

sub CopyEntireMessage {
   my $this = shift;
   my($message, $targetdir, $targetfile, $uid, $gid, $changeowner) = @_;

   $targetfile =~/([\w\d]{10}.[\w\d]{5})/;
   $targetfile = $1;

   #print STDERR "Copying to $targetdir $targetfile\n";
   if (MailScanner::Config::Value('storeentireasdfqf')) {

This way you don't have to disable the taint mode which is a bit safer.
(I even created a debian package with this fix if you're interested)

Greets,

Sander