Spamassassin issue

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 09:59:00 GMT 2012

On 24 November 2012 00:59, Mike Watson <mikew at crucis.net> wrote:
> Mailscanner.cf exists and it does point to
> /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf. I did get one error with running
> spamassassin --lint that it failed to parse a line, "pyzor_add_header."

Ok. The pyzor error is likely because you haven't done a
"loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor" in one of the .pre
files in /etc/mail/spamassassin ... You need install/configure Pyzor
before doing that. How to setup the digest tests Razor, Pyzor and DCC
is in the wiki, so go have a look there. Those will likely help a bit
with your FP-problem.

> I found the bayes files in /root/.spamassassin with current timestamps. The
> warning aside, it appears to be running properly. I'll start running
> sa-learn --ham as root and hopefully that should start correcting the false
> positives I've been getting.

bayes_path (which actually is a path and filename segment, read the
comment in mailscanner.cf) and permissions are set in
mailscanner.cf... but may be overridden in a later .cf file, so do a
little grep on that to see what it really is set to. Also check that
you actually do the loadplugin for Bayes as well.

> I'm assuming that if a run sa-learn as user:root that it will automatically
> update the bayes files in /root/.spamassassin?

If the config is done OK, then yes. The reason for moving it to a
place like /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin is mainly to place it
somewhere easily accessible/updatable for the webserver user, provided
you run systems like MailWath or Baruwa (not sure if the latter needs
that, I got disenthused while trying it:-).

> mw

(snip)

Cheers
--